Geologic Time Research Links: Be sure to record your sources!
Check back here--> I will be adding more of these links over time
GENERAL INFORMATION SITES
WEBSITES THAT ARE SPECIFIC TO A PARTICULAR TIME PERIOD
HAVING A HARD TIME WITH YOUR TIME DIVISION? HERE ARE SOME HINTS!
- EDIACARAN PERIOD HINT: This is the last part of the Neoproterozoic Era. It is sometimes
called the VENDIAN PERIOD. Also, look for the first "Metazoans" which means first multicellular
- CRYOGENIAN PERIOD HINT: Search for Snowball Earth and the supercontinent Rodinia,
which was fully formed at this time. (Rodinia would be a useful thing to search for if you are
studying the Neoproterozoic Era in general also!)
- PALEOGENE HINT: Also called the "Tertiary Period." Also look for information on the
Paleocene Epoch, Eocene Epoch, and Oligocene Epoch.
- NEOGENE HINT: Includes part of the "Tertiary Period." Also search for information on the
Miocene Epoch and the Pliocene Epoch.
- QUATERNARY HINT: Search for Pleistocene Epoch and Holocene Epoch. Almost everything
you have learned in Social Studies this year fits in the Quaternary Period!
Extinction Events in Geologic Time
Holocene Extinction (RIGHT NOW!)
K/T Boundary: Extinction of the Dinosaurs (except for birds!)
Permo-Triassic Extinction: As much as 96% of species go extinct!
Oxygen Catastrophe: A Bacterial Massacre!